Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Magic

   Spring Break is finally here -- and I am ready! Today was an optional work day, and the school was empty except for one other teacher and me, but my room was such a mess that I just couldn't enjoy my week off unless I tried to make a dent in all the piles.  I worked until about 5:00, and still didn't even start on plans for when we get back -- but I did find the top of my desk.  The calendar was still on January, so I guess that was the last time I saw it.  I also sorted thru the huge stack of papers  -- I found Christmas and the gingerbread man on the bottom.  So, still lots that needs to be done, but it will have to wait.  I need to do my taxes and work on the piles of stuff at my own house -- and take a little break from it all and go to Gatlinburg for a few days with my family.                              
                               It's time for
                                                                  
                                                                    Five for Friday
                                      and I have pictures of 5 good things about the day!


  It's a good time of year in kindergarten -- the little window after 3rd 9 weeks report cards and assessments -- with about 2 weeks until the beginning of end-of-year assessments. Everyone has been working hard and Easter almost slipped up on us. But Thursday was the day we had been waiting for -- Easter Egg Hunt Day!! I had a long list of things to do -- but first of all I forgot the eggs that I had hard-boiled and ready to go -- and left them sitting by the door at my house. So I had to turn around and go back home to get them.
   When I told the children that we were going to dye eggs, one little boy thought about it for a while, then he raised his hand and said, "Are we really going to bring a gun and shoot the eggs?"
Took me a minute, but then I realized dye -- die -- so funny!  No eggs died today, but it was great fun to hear the "oooh" and "aaah" as I mixed the colors and magically made the eggs change from white to a rainbow of colors. 
We also took time to make some lovely Easter bonnets -- and I told them how all the little girls and old ladies wore Easter bonnets to church when I was their age.
Finally it was the time we had been waiting for -- my wonderful parent volunteers had hidden and scattered the school yard with candy-filled eggs, and soon the hunt was on!
They ended the day by gobbling up as much candy as they could hold -- then I sent them home!
When we get back, we will work hard again to try to master all those Common Core goals.  I hope they don't forget anything over this long break.  The end is near -- less than 40 days to go -- and there is still a lot of  learning to do.  Plus we have 2 field trips, many days of assessing, and graduation, so the time is really getting short.
   But now -- let the vacation begin!!


I look forward to celebrating Easter with my church family -- He is Risen !! Hallelujah!!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed your Spring Break!!! 35 days of school left!!! Wow, where has the time gone?!?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment!!