Friday, January 17, 2014

Teaching "How-to" Writing in Kindergarten

  Writing is one of my favorite subjects to teach! And I am always on the lookout for the best way to teach my little ones to write. I have probably bought or borrowed at least 10 different books on teaching writing in kindergarten. All had good ideas, but I have finally found the one I love -- and it is written by Deanna Jump and Deedee Wills, two of my absolute favorites who have provided me with so many fabulous teaching materials. But this " Writing Through the Year" is exactly what I needed.  Right now, we are using the "How-to" unit.


  Of course, I never follow the plans exactly, so you will not find these topics in the unit, but their directions give me a plan that I can use with my own topics. Here are a couple examples.


      This was the first " how-to" we did.  I did a guided drawing activity, then the kids drew a lion. and wrote the steps.



      The next day I was sick, so I asked my assistant to use the " how-to" plan and just think of something to write about.  Since we had apples for a snack, she had them to write "How to Eat an Apple."



      Of course, every  child's paper does not look like this.  Many are still learning about capitals, spaces and all the mechanics of writing.  But the format makes it easier for the children, and I am sending a "How-to" writing assignment for homework next week.
       The kids seem to enjoy it, too -- one little boy came in this week asking, "Can we do that writing like we did yesterday?" That is what makes it worth every penny!! If it inspires my students to want to write, then I know I am on the right track.

3 comments:

  1. Their writing looks awesome! The progress they can make in kindergarten amazes me every year!

    Lindsey
    Lovin’ Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Lindsey -- it is so cool when they catch on!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment!!